Monday, May 01, 2006

Top Ten for May

My Favorite Chess Masters of All Time

1. Jose Raul Capablanca 1888-1942
2. Paul Morphy 1837-1884
3. Garry Kasparov 1963-
4. Adolph Anderssen 1818-1879
5. Francois Andre Danican Philidor 1726-1795
6. Alexander Alekhine 1892-1946
7. Ruy Lopez de Segura 1530-1580
8. Howard Staunton 1810-1874
9. Aron Nimzovitch 1886-1935
10. Frank Marshall 1877-1944

7 Comments:

Blogger keltic said...

I have to know if this list was actually in your head, or if you looked up this info... 'cuz seriously... if these are your favorites, that means you know about more than these...

9:52 AM  
Blogger craigt said...

...which just ain't right.

11:15 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Of course I know of more than these.. do you have any idea how many chess masters there have been?

I don't apologize for my knowledge of chess history... some people spend their free time watching the Cubs!

11:53 AM  
Blogger keltic said...

Ooohhhh... that was low.
I only know Bobby fischer and my brother - who won a trophy in chess in one of the first Awana Varsity Games!

4:15 PM  
Blogger jeff said...

Yeah, i was personally a bit offended I didn't make the list. My two claims to chess fame, winning the Awana Games and beating my uncle, thus ending hsi chess playing career, are still being talked about. I'm a household name.

7:44 AM  
Blogger craigt said...

Which household is that?

4:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ending his career? Jeff's uncle seems to remember another game taking place right after the one he mentions that had a somewhat different outcome.

But Jeff's uncle is highly flattered that he is the accepted standard for success, chesswise.

8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home