Thursday, June 01, 2006

Happy Birthday, Superman!

As you can see by the cover date, Action Comics # 1 was published 68 years ago this month.

This comic book introduced Superman and ushered in the age of the super-hero, for which I'll be forever grateful.

I was reminded of this today by my fellow comic-book reader, who I'll call Rogre (to protect his real identity).

This magazine was published by National Periodical Publications. Their new character became such a star, they actually renamed themselves Superman-DC-National. The DC (standing for Detective Comics) stuck, and that's what they're known as today.

The editors at DC gave Clark Kent the birthday of February 29, since he ostensibly didn't know what his really was. When Time magazine did a cover story on Superman turning 50 in 1988, they mentioned he was born on Feb. 29, which is interesting, as 1938 was not a leap year. But, hey, he's Superman.

2 Comments:

Blogger jeff said...

I'm no comic book expert but just because there was no February 29 in 1938 doesn't mean anything does it? The first comic book came out then, when superman was a grown adult, judging by the cover anyway.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

No, it doesn't.

I just found a gentle irony in the fact that Time made a big deal about Superman turning 50 and also mentioning his birthday (they didn't have to).

9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home