Sunday, March 05, 2006

That's Not Cricket

President Bush has taken up cricket. Actually, he only saw three balls and was able to put his bat on one of them. This was, of course, in Pakistan - the fourth-ranked cricket-playing country in the world.

Historically, cricket test matches take four or five days to play, complete with "intervals" for lunch and tea. Within the last 40 years or so, they've come up with something called "one-day cricket". Taking note of the popularity of its American cousin, baseball, they've made a few rule changes - so now, instead of everybody wearing solid white and using a red ball, they have colorful caps and uniforms and a white ball. It makes for a much more exciting game, complete with strategy and everything and lasts for no longer than three hours. There will be 16 ODI (one-day international) teams involved in the quadrennial Cricket World Cup.
The side I follow is the West Indies, who won the first two World Cups in 1975 and 1979. The Windies are currently ranked sixth, but they're hosting the event this time, so I'm hoping for a home cooking upset.

It starts in 370 days, the amount of time Noah was in the ark. I will try to be as patient, but I must admit I have CWC fever! Go Windies!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home