I Have Statistics to Back That Up
I remember (or think I remember, which amounts to the same thing) having a conversation with Roger where he shared his view that it's a shame the more you like a book, the faster you read it and vice versa.
I respectfully stated that the reverse was true in my experience. When I'm enjoying a book, I like to take long breaks and think about it - chew it over in my mind - in order to prolong the feeling of satisfaction.
Well...I haven't kept records of my reading for the past 14 years for nothing. I decided (after taking six days to read a 212-page biography of one of my heroes, Michael Faraday - which I thoroughly enjoyed) to see what the statistics were on the various ratings of books I've read.
Books I've rated a 2 on the 10-point scale averaged a Flash-type speed of 129.55 pages per day (sounds like quite a bit of skimming).
3s & 4s were 81.56; while middle-of-the-road, nothing-to-write-home-about 5s were close to my overall rate of 73 - 74.98.
6s & 7s held my attention slightly better at 61.93.
8 - 10s were read at the easy, mulling-over, semi-languid pace of 56.77.
Statistical proof that the more I like a book, the longer I take to read it!
I respectfully stated that the reverse was true in my experience. When I'm enjoying a book, I like to take long breaks and think about it - chew it over in my mind - in order to prolong the feeling of satisfaction.
Well...I haven't kept records of my reading for the past 14 years for nothing. I decided (after taking six days to read a 212-page biography of one of my heroes, Michael Faraday - which I thoroughly enjoyed) to see what the statistics were on the various ratings of books I've read.
Books I've rated a 2 on the 10-point scale averaged a Flash-type speed of 129.55 pages per day (sounds like quite a bit of skimming).
3s & 4s were 81.56; while middle-of-the-road, nothing-to-write-home-about 5s were close to my overall rate of 73 - 74.98.
6s & 7s held my attention slightly better at 61.93.
8 - 10s were read at the easy, mulling-over, semi-languid pace of 56.77.
Statistical proof that the more I like a book, the longer I take to read it!


3 Comments:
Just think of all the really bad books you could have read while you were figuring that out.
Your results are intriguing.
And the fact that anyone could come up with such a list is just amazing to my short attention spa...
BTW, welcome back! Missed your posts!
Post a Comment
<< Home